Indeed, the term is very popular, but, what’s community management?
COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT 101
Community management is the art of establishing and managing relationships in the online realm. By actively managing customers and potential audiences, it’s possible to build a solid brand presence both online and offline.
If you wish to learn more about the tasks and performance of a community manager, check the video below.
SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING
It is often confused with community management and it’s closely related to it; however, Social Media Marketing is mainly focused on content production, distribution and strategy in general.
COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT ON SOCIAL MEDIA
After the posts, videos and other media get published, it’s time for the listening, discussions and feedback. All these tasks are carried out by the Community Manager.
• Monitoring and listening: by following conversations related to the brand.
• Engagement in online conversations: being proactive and engaging in conversations with current and potential customers, as well as reaching out to influencers.
• Moderating and reputation watch: by keeping the social profiles clean and addressing any negative comments.
• Measurement and feedback: getting feedback from different channels and carrying out sentiment analysis are an essential part of the job.
COMMUNITY MANAGER VS SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER
Here, a quick look at the main differences.
|Social Media Manager Is the Brand||Community Manager Is the Advocate|
|Listening and Conversation||Conversation and Engagement|
|Research and Strategy||Visibility and Credibility|
|Content creation and Curation||Scaling Communities|
COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT: EXAMPLES AND RESOURCES
Community management is a challenging job, but some people can truly master it. Let’s look at some stand-out examples below.
• Fenty Beauty (by Rihanna) relied in user generated content in its launch campaign.
View this post on Instagram
• A similar example is the campaign #AsSeenOnMe by Asos, mainly focused on building a community around the brand.
— Iféoluwa (@Ifesstyleroom) 16 November 2016
• Starbucks started the initiative “My Starbucks Idea” as part of their social strategy.
— My Starbucks Idea (@MyStarbucksIdea) 1 de junio de 2017
• Twelpforce by BestBuy was created as a 24 hours support service and it’s been awarded for its efficiency.
— Best Buy Twelpforce (@twelpforce) 7 de mayo de 2013
As for the resources, there is almost an infinite number of them. Let’s look at some useful tools.
• Scheduling: Hootsuite, Buffer, Agorapulse.
• Content Curation: Feedly, Scoop.it, Paper.li.
• Monitoring: Sprout Social.
• Blogging: WordPress, Squarespace.
• Metrics: Native analytics, Metricool.
• Email marketing: MailChimp, Aweber.
• Storage: OneDrive, Google Drive.
• Automation: Creative Virtual.
• Storytelling: Storify.
• Design: Canva.
• Teamwork: Slack.